Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PSALM 90 ~~ MAKING EACH DAY COUNT
Today's date shouts the truth--time flies. We are dancing into Spring, however, I can barely remember Winter. I am forging in to the week but I can barely remember yesterday. My days are filled with the aimless activities of life and my mind overflows in constant motion like a waterfall spilling over a mountaintop into the misty pool below. And yet...amidst all the things we deem necessary to carry on, the best days we have are all but (vs.10) "trouble and sorrow...for they quickly pass, and we fly away."( vs.4,9)  "For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by..all our days pass away under your wrath; we finish our years with a moan."
I often look around and know how blessed I am to be healthy, to have my family, to live in a free country. But, do I truly appreciate it? Most often my days are filled with the humdrum monotony of daily existence and I rarely take the time to glance around me and experience the wonders God has set before me or to look for that moment he may place in my hand to make a difference in someone's life. I don't think this is what we exist for--to exist. That is no existence at all.
What can I do to resolve this? Focus on my attitude. My mind says, feel sorry for yourself if noone paid special attention to you today, dwell on the little problems and worries that plague you, you are alone, other people's lives are perfect (Wow! Who came up with that one? The father of lies!) But what if I fought my attitude? What if I prayed for the following, even as Moses prayed this thousands of years ago... (vs 12) "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom...(vs 14) satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. (vs 17) ...establish the work of our hands for us..
If we let the Lord establish the works of our hands, he can (vs 15) make us glad for as many years as we have seen trouble. He can turn what seems to us as an unrewarding day or moment into moments we can celebrate. I want to wake up singing joy and be glad in this day and the next and the next.
(17)May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon (me) (you) us.

2 comments:

  1. What a treasure to take a moment before showering and read your words of wisdom. My heart sings when I read your thoughts - thank you my sister! I began an experment about two years ago. Whenever I am asked, "how are you?" I will usually reply, "Wonderful!". At first it felt uncomfortable, it's easier to whine! Now I find that I really am "wonderful" more often than not. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A while back, I quit saying "how are you" to others because often I did not want them to ask ME that. Instead I will say "Nice to see you today!" because it IS, but I like your solution as well. Glad you find wisdom in my words. (as I said, God works in mysterious ways haha) It is hard to become transparent but why not, more often than not, I find others are feeling the same feelings. Again, thank you for helping me grow and you constant encouragement. Grateful--for you--and our Father who binds us together in such a simple way.

    ReplyDelete