Wednesday, April 11, 2012

1 SAMUEL 9-12 MULTIPLE CHANCES
Chapter 12 verse 20: "Do not be afraid,"  Samuel replied, "you have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart..."
It is human nature to do things our way. It is also human nature to make an excuse for why we left the beaten path and ventured into our own path--sometimes we leave the path so subtly that we aren't even aware we are off--but when we do realize it, what is our response? Just because I am not a murderer, or thief, does not mean I am not a sinner. Pride, lack of confidence and jealousy often sneak into my life. Am I viewing these as sins?
Do I "turn after useless idols?" (oh, I would never have a carved statue or bow to another image, but isn't that what happens to me when I worry about how I am going to get something accomplished tomorrow or freak out because a reservation has been overbooked and I am left without a place for a party?) Life's little happenings often overrule my rationality and become idols in my life with out my acknowledging them at the time as sin. Deby shared with me FOCUS, FAITH, TRUST the other day when I let the cares of the world overcome me. I seem to constantly fight with this, but is this running after "useless idols?"  These things can do me no good, nor can they rescue me, because they are useless. It's not that they are in themselves wrong, there are just so many things in our modern lives that pull us away from believing He is faithful, focusing on what is truly a worry, and trusting that what God wants to be accomplished through us will be--only if we continue to reach toward him, are open to his calling and do not turn away from him wandering aimlessly on our own.
In chapter 10, two (jealous) men stir dissension by muttering about Saul. ("How can this fellow save us?") They refuse to bring him gifts (I'm sure that was very insulting in that situation) but Saul kept silent. Do I keep silent when I feel I have been insulted or wronged? Even if I speak no words, do I harbor resentment in my heart?
 The people were reminded by Samuel of their repetitive sin and again begged Samuel to bail them out so to speak, to " pray to the Lord your God (why not our God?) because they had added yet more sin on top of their past sins. He humbled himself and prayed for them (even though he must have been so fed up with them!) "Far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you." (Am I  praying for those who have wronged God? or me?) "And I will teach you the way that is good and right." (On top of praying am I teaching others the way that is good and right? At least my my example?)
I  don't want to persist in doing evil. I desire to serve him faithfully with all my heart. This is the journey I am on, thought I know I have and will take wrong turns. I pray I will always consider what great things he has done for me. He has given us multiple chances...because "the LORD was pleased to make you his own." May we live by the words he gave through Samuel..."You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart. <3

3 comments:

  1. Wow!I love the words He spoke to you, and the truth that is in it! I am learning through the words He is speaking to each of us, and am so thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia..I am just grateful I am reading my bible regularly again. There is so much I told myself I learned as a kid. Well, maybe, but apparently I need to revisit it!!! Thankful for all of doing this together! :)

      Delete
  2. Do I keep silent when I feel I have been insulted or wronged? Even if I speak no words, do I harbor resentment in my heart? yep- that's me! Trying not to be. Again girlie - He gave us the same verses - May we live by the words He gave through Samuel..."You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart. What hope He gives us! Love your words Pamela - thanks for sharing...and loving Him.

    ReplyDelete