Sunday, April 15, 2012

PSALMS 34~~ BLESSINGS AND PROTECTION FOR THOSE WHO FEAR HIM
Got my gumbo simmerin'. Thinking it will add a little spice to this otherwise dreary day. Spent some time reading Psalms 34 this morning. (Vs 8)Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Now if that isn't comforting what is? I am truely blessed. I have the means to prepare a big pot of Cajun gumbo and will probably side it with some rice and pototo salad, just the way my husband likes it. I'll sit in my little house that is paid for, warm and dry and maybe organize some clothes in my closet today. (Spring cleaning continues...) One daughter just left to shoot photos at school for the yearbook and the other sits somewhere in Bloomington studying for her final 3 weeks of college. I am blessed. I am healthy. I have employment. I have Christ.
Even though I am blessed, I often need to take refuge in him. There are just days when I feel like an outsider. There are times I wish I was in one of those groups of people gathered around chatting in up after church. I wander around and wonder if it is just that I need to make more effort. But nevertheless, I am a bit of a loner, so I can come home to the comfort of my home and enjoy the quiet. And these moments of quiet are somewhat rare so I will enjoy this one to blog without interruption.
The verse that stood out to me in this passage was 7. "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him and he delivers them."  Now, I know that I just read in 1 Samuel about David defeating Goliath and several battles that he entered into all given over to him by the Lord. I also know this protection and provision was not just for David. Have you ever been somewhere that you just could feel was lacking the presence of God. Well, where noone wants HIM or obeys HIM he often leaves. (As is witnessed also throught the scriptures we have read lately. Sometimes when his spirit leaves, he replaces it with others (1 Sam. 16:14 Now the spirit of the Lord had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord tormented him.) or others come and occupy that space.  There have been numerous stories of angels surrounding missionaries in the woods when threatened, or in a field in a warzone. We wouldn't dream of haveing to deal with spiritual battles of this nature, but be warned. Where God is not wanted or feared, he may just do as with Saul or any of the Israelites we have studied up to this point. He may just leave that territory and if he does it is open territory for evil forces. We need to suround ourselves with other believers. When we find ourselves in these spots, we need to turn to God then turn and run...
I'm thankful for God's protection.   "I will (Psalm 34:1,3)  extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips...Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together!"

2 comments:

  1. Again - He brought the same verses to us! I had known about His hedge of protection in Job, but never seen it before in vs 7 God's angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray - perhaps this is why He calls us to pray unceaseingly.

    I relate to you feeling like an outsider. I felt/feel that way even within my own family. If it wasn't for Curt, I would probably be in and out of church without speaking to many. It is so outside my comfort zone to mingle and visit and do the small talk. I'm okay with someone I know and if it is a meaningful conversation. Funny how we view ourselves and others don't see that. I always see you as having a lot of friends and people that love you. I know I love you! Have a wonderful Monday and thanks for sharing His words. I love reading them! God blesses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and Amen, we are bound together sisters in Christ!

    Thessalonians 5:16-18 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

    Matthew 18:19-20
    19 “Again I say[c] to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

    ReplyDelete